Tuesday, April 19, 2011

No breakfast today and only water to drink as after a morning in the office it was time for another trip to the Royal, this time for a Gastroscopy. Stomach discomfort seems to have returned this morning which I suppose is a good thing.  Still undecided if I should opt for the sedation, I ended up chatting to the doctor who was going to preform the procedure about my swallowing issues and in the end decided to try with just the Lidocaine Spray to the back of the throat.  I must say the staff were brilliant and very reassuring, although I'm not sure the comment about how tall I was helped much.  I didn't keep my eyes open and gagged a few times and although its not a procedure I'd rush to do again, it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  The good news was they didn't find any problems, except for a small sliding hiatus hernia.   The gap in my diaphragm is a little wider than normal so it allows a little of my stomach into the lower chest, which in turn allows acid upwards.  Not sure that this is responsible for my stomach discomfort but a little Gaviscon should sort it out if needed.  Half an hour after the procedure I was allowed tea and biscuits before seeing the discharge nurse. She supplied me with a leaflet on helpful advice to reduce symptoms of a hiatus hernia, such as avoiding excess tea, coffee, alcohol, currys and tight fitting clothes!   Just have to wait a couple of weeks now for the consultant to send the GP the results of the blood test.

No comments:

Post a Comment